Sunday, June 9, 2013

Consider Your LIfe

Changes in life are bound to happen.  There is a quote that says, nothing is constant but change.  There are times when I have embraced change, and others when the change seems to come when I don't quite feel ready.  Usually it's for the better, but in the moment of sudden changes, it can seem very overwhelming.  Some changes in life have thrown me off my feet, while others seem like a gentle tap into a new direction.  A dear friend of mine has a simple saying, "you want to move towards something, not run away from something."   It's at those times where I feel overwhelmed with wanting to change, but feeling stuck, that I remember this.  Keeping myself grounded in my practice of yoga, breathing and prayer, helps me to stand in the eye of the storm when all I want to do is run away.  Of course having supportive people around you is also a great source of strength, but finding that inner strength that comes from the Source is the anchor.  As you get older, or are faced with a challenging situation in life, it seems natural to contemplate the direction life has taken you.  I found a wonderful quote from the Dalai Lama that reminds us to ponder this without the "gentle nudges" that life often swings our way, and to be true to ourselves.  I'd like to share it with you:

"There is only one important point you must keep in your mind and let it be your guide.  No matter what people call you, you are just who you are.  Keep to this truth.  You must ask yourself how it is that you want to life your life.  We live and we die, this is the truth that we can only face alone.  No one can help us, not even the Buddha.  So consider carefully, what prevents you from living the way you want to live your life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment